Views
Helpful
Replies

Rogue AP Exact Location

asif.naveed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

Currently i am using WLC,WCS and LA.Right now i am facing problem of Rogue AP.I know his mac address as well as vendor but how can i know his exact location.I am using Netstumbler tool.

Please reply

4 Replies 4

jeromehenry_2
Level 3
Level 3

If you see its MAC address on Netstumbler or WCS, from WCS look for the MAC address, click it, and in the upper right menu choose "Present map".

If you have a WCS base version, you'll see the closest access point, if you have a location versin, you will see the rogue AP icon on the map.

This supposes of course that your LAPs do hear the rogue signal...

hth

Jerome

Actually WCS is not properly configured thats why the problem we are facing no proper maps

:)

Any tool if can help then its better

Ok, well, if Netstumbler is the only tool you have, try to work with the RSSI level, moving your laptop, the higher the RSSI the closer you are to the rogue...

Richard Atkin
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Asif,

Presuming you can associate to the rogue, and presuming it's connected to your network, associate to the rogue, generate some traffic from your wireless laptop, then search your network for your own MAC address - the switchport your MAC comes from is where the AP is connected to. Then you can shutdown the port and follow the patching back to where ever the AP is.

Failing that - RSSI is your friend!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card