nadzia786 Thu, 07/10/2008 - 00:38

I've used Odom's books to pass the CCNA. Compared to Sybex I think Odom is better. Odom is a better read, better topic presentations and format.

Da5idXLII Thu, 07/10/2008 - 01:21

I like Odom a lot better. Lammle (Sybex book) mentions a few things that can be useful that odom doesn't, but therefore I guess they won't be necessary for the exam.

The main thing for me is the format: Odom reads like an academic book, Lammle sounds like he's trying to sell you a 2nd-hand car that he knows has a lot of faults... Plus, it's a lot of showing off (look ma, no hands!).

Pick the style you like best ;)

keeleym@o2.ie Thu, 07/10/2008 - 02:11

Hi There

I studied for and passed the old CCNA before the update last year and I used the Sybex book by Todd Lammle as part of my study material.

I thought the book was really good even though it was quite a meaty book to read. I liked the lab practice at the end of each chapter and IMHO his method of teaching subnetting (which is a required skill, not just for the exam, but more importantly for the real world) is the best I came across by far.

I have never read Wendell Odom's CCNA books. But I do have a CCIE volume by him which I am using as part of my NP studies and I will say that he has a great writing and presentation style. This makes the book easy to read and understand, so I would imagine that his CCNA books are also an excellent study resource.

Best Regards,

Michael

srue Thu, 07/10/2008 - 09:04

i've always felt that sybex's ccna book was better for beginners and cisco press's ccna books were better for people with at least some experience. lammle's book is an easier read. CP reads like too much like an academic textbook, which can be intimidating and hard to follow for people with little or no background in networking - at least when i last looked at it.

after the ccna, stick with CP though. (

i also recommend CP for ccda.)

srivkind Fri, 07/11/2008 - 10:28

You usually can't go wrong if you buy the Cisco press Official exam certification guide. Can be kind of boring but it covers the material in the exam and gives you the info that Cisco is looking for in the exam. Remember that is the only answer that counts (the one Cisco expects)

lrrossi Mon, 07/21/2008 - 06:52

Actually, if you want to cover the material that the actual exam is written from the best books to get are the official ICND1 and INCD2 books from Cisco Press, they are not the best written, but this is where the exam questions come from so you can't go wrong :-).

http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587054620

http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587054639

Good Luck,

Lou Rossi

www.CCPrep.com

A Cisco Learning Partner

Actions

This Discussion