cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Tracking using WCS Base license

mfalcon818
Level 1
Level 1

I need to confirm what the base version of WCS will track. I know I can track APs, clients, and rouges, but can I track RFID tagged devices too? I believe the answer is no.

If I add the location license to the WCS can I track RFID tagged devices? If not, does this mean I need to have a location appliance to track any RFID tagged device?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jeromehenry_2
Level 3
Level 3

With the base license, location tracking is based on "closest AP". This means that you see what is the closest access point to the device you track.

With the location license, location tracking shows the icon of the device you track, so it's more accurate.

With a location appliance (and location license), you see all the icons of all devices on a single map, whereas without the location appliance you have to search for items one by one, and you only see the icon of the device you are looking for.

SO, to answer your question, all versions will allow you to track APs, clients, rogues and RFID tags (802.11 active RFIDs), the difference being the accuracy and number of devices located per map.

This document will give you more details:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/wcs/5.0/configuration/guide/wcsovrv.html

Hope it helps

Jerome

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

jeromehenry_2
Level 3
Level 3

With the base license, location tracking is based on "closest AP". This means that you see what is the closest access point to the device you track.

With the location license, location tracking shows the icon of the device you track, so it's more accurate.

With a location appliance (and location license), you see all the icons of all devices on a single map, whereas without the location appliance you have to search for items one by one, and you only see the icon of the device you are looking for.

SO, to answer your question, all versions will allow you to track APs, clients, rogues and RFID tags (802.11 active RFIDs), the difference being the accuracy and number of devices located per map.

This document will give you more details:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/wcs/5.0/configuration/guide/wcsovrv.html

Hope it helps

Jerome

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card