cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question: How does the ASA compare with the competition?

awaithaka
Level 1
Level 1

Hello's

I'm in the market looking to replace my current PIX firewalls. I've been looking at the ASA and the competition (Checkpoint, SonicWall) and was wondering if i could get some added expert opinion on how you think the ASA compares/competes.

thanks,

Sky.

4 Replies 4

Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

It very much depends on what you want to do with the firewall.

For SSL you can use Juniper Netscreen (they are the best) or the ASA (second choice).

For IPSEC VPN and Firewalling i would choose ASAs(best choice) then Nestscreen (second choice). My company currently is replacing all the Checkpoints with ASAs.

http://www.networkworld.com/ap/searchresults.jsp?qt=firewall+test&hpg1=sb&

You'll find in the link multiple tests performed by NetworkWorld for various features for the firewalls on the market.

Please rate if this helped.

REgards,

Daniel

Hello Andrew,

Your reason why you want to replace your PIX with a better one is the key determinant on which model of firewall you should have.

Fortinet's Fortigate products are also suitable for small-mid sized companies. Cisco's products are modular (Conext security, IPS, Anti virus are different modules), hence expensive. Fortinet products are "Unified" which contains all of the above, and suitable for lower IT budget.

Regards

As much as i have read about the UTM model, I'm still of the school of thought that i want my firewall to perform firewall functions only and other products to perform Anti-virus and IPS functions. I'm not sold on the UTM model. That could change, but at this moment, not so much :)

thanks

Sky.

If you read the article from Network World, they basically state that UTM is still immature. We put IPS in our ASA's and Netscreen's (DI), but that's it. I like both the ASA's and the Netscreens. We have both in our environment and we sell both to our customers. The Netscreens do some things better and the ASA's do some things better. It boils down to what you need the firewall to do.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card