cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MARS -- Root password for maintenance

gomeso
Level 1
Level 1

We experienced a power issue in the cabinet a few days ago, and now MARS is giving me the below info. Can someone plz provide with the default root password or web url explaining this issue? Or, should I do a recover boot via CD. Thank you.

"

MARS boot screen message(s)

(after the normal Cisco logo screen and some Linux startup messages)

Your system appears to have shut down uncleanly

Press Y within X seconds to force file system integrity check…..

Checking root filesystem

/dev/hda2 contains a file system with errors, check forced.

Error reading block 98349 (Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in a short read) while doing inode scan.

/dev/hda2: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.

(i.e., without -a or -p options)

[FAILED]

*** An error occurred during the file system check.

*** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot

*** when you leave the shell.

Give root password for maintenance

(or type Control-D to continue):

Login incorrect

Give root password for maintenance

(or type Control-D to continue):

Login incorrect

"

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

pmccubbin
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Olukayode,

If pnadmin doesn't work then a fresh install appears to be in order.

If a fresh install doesn't fix it then you may need a new disk. I wouldn't waste a lot of time trying to troubleshoot it without Cisco TAC. The shell is pretty well locked down and there is not much you can do besides what you have already tried. I trust you purchased maintenance on this device.

Hope this helps.

Paul

View solution in original post

As others have stated, the box is pretty much locked out. The best way to approach this would be via Cisco TAC. However if that is not an option, you may try some of the tricks mentioned on the following link to get a linux prompt and work your way from there:

http://www.securityie.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=000028

Regards

Farrukh

P.S. You are on your own about the legal/moral implications of doing these modifications.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

pmccubbin
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Olukayode,

If pnadmin doesn't work then a fresh install appears to be in order.

If a fresh install doesn't fix it then you may need a new disk. I wouldn't waste a lot of time trying to troubleshoot it without Cisco TAC. The shell is pretty well locked down and there is not much you can do besides what you have already tried. I trust you purchased maintenance on this device.

Hope this helps.

Paul

As others have stated, the box is pretty much locked out. The best way to approach this would be via Cisco TAC. However if that is not an option, you may try some of the tricks mentioned on the following link to get a linux prompt and work your way from there:

http://www.securityie.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=000028

Regards

Farrukh

P.S. You are on your own about the legal/moral implications of doing these modifications.

Thank you for the reply. Also, will the existing data be lost if proceed with a fresh install? I am assuming...yes.

Hi Olukayode,

Yes, a fresh install means you will lose all your data. This is why many people use a seed file from a source like CiscoWorks for importing devices.

Best of luck,

Paul

Yup a re-install would mean all data is lost. You should have backed that up before this happened :)

Farrukh

Thank you for your assistance!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: