cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RRM RF Group Leader not updating RF Group Members

ericwoodin
Level 1
Level 1

We cannot get RRM RF Group Leader to update the RF Group Members. On our group leader controller, it sees our other controllers in the RF group. We have APs assigned to all four of our controllers and the tx power and dynamic channel assignment do not work. When we put all of the APs onto the RF group leader controller, the tx power levels and dynamic channel assignment both work as they are supposed to. All of our settings on our controllers are exactly the same. I guess my question is, is there a set of specific settings that I need to apply before RRM starts to update from the RF group leader?

7 Replies 7

Richard Atkin
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Eric,

I'm not aware that there are any specific settings required other than;

1. Using the same RF Domain Name on all controllers

2. All controllers correctly enroled in the same Mobility Group (verify status of Mob Grp using EPING and MPING from the WLC CLI)

Also, RRM doesn't work very well in areas where there are very few APs able to hear each other as the whole RRM mechanism relies on the WLC being able to correlate information from a number of Access Points.

We have all four of our controllers on the same RF Domain Name. We have verified the status of the Mobility Group using eping and mping. We split up our APs on two of our controllers that are in the same 6500 and it still would not update from the RRM Group Leader. We "tricked" the WLC into moving the group leader onto the other controller that was in the same 6500. The same thing happened, now the 2nd controller won't send updates to the original controller. We moved all the APs onto the group leader and everything worked fine.

I am seeing very similar things with regard to the members not being updated. Do you have any update or fix for your situation?

Hii ,

If the group leader election had done , then leader will update the Tx and channels for everyone but only if required.

to further debug this , you can issue the following command on your controllers "debug airewave director channel enable"

This will give you details , what exactly happening.

Also please mention which code you are using ?

Thanks

Vinay

Exactly. Sounds like a code version issue but let us know the code version for sure. I am expecting that you may not have enough AP density for the completion of the algorithims to let the controllers pass the info.

Right now, we are using the newest version of code 5.2.178.0. We had to upgrade to install the new 1142n radios. We just bought three new WiSMs and will install them this week sometime. Hopefully, it was some wierd hardware issue and will not reoccur once the new WiSMs with the new code are in place.

Make sure that you have read the CAPWAP deployment guide to insure your settings for the newer code. There are several new ports that need to be allowed on any firewalls, etc.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card