Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.0 with Dec Update

Peter Valdes
Level 3
Level 3

Hi All,

I have been trialing LMS 3.0 with dec update 3.0.1. I have successfully added devices under the Server Setup. Now, I'm trying to add more device by using the Device discovery using CDP and I'm getting unreachable on the result.

Did I miss anything on the device discovery? SNMP is setup correctly as Im using community string snmp v2 on my local switch.

Thanks

Peter

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If LMS is configured with v3 credentials for a device, then it will ONLY try and use v3 to communicate with that device. For example, if you configure a range *.*.*.* for v2 credentials AND v3 credentials, Discovery will ONLY try the v3 credentials. If you need to mix and match v2 with v3, be sure you tighten your ranges accordingly (i.e. so they do not overlap).

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What module reports the device as unreachable? If it is System, then your DCR SNMP credentials are wrong, or the device is truly unreachable (e.g. a routing problem). If the module is CDP, then the SNMP credentials within Device Discovery are wrong. The best way to troubleshoot these problems is with a sniffer trace. You start the trace, and filter on udp/161 traffic to one unreachable device. When Discovery completes, look at the trace to see what's going on.

Hi,

The module specific im using is CDP only. From the seed devices, I have added 2 more switches using smnp community string xxx rw. I do have "use DCR as seed list" tick.

I have the SNMP credentials correct config as per above.

Under the device discovery summary, i get unreachable devices on all seeds including the existing devices in the DCR and debug on the switch is not showing any snmp request/packets/session while running discovery.

BTW, im using the evaluation version of LMS 3.0.1 and i have 2+ months left as this is a trial if the application is any good.

Please post the CSDiscovery.log.

Hi,

Thanks for your help with this jclarke. As per requested, I have attached the log.

Please post the ngdiscovery.log and the NMSROOT/conf/csdiscovery/CSDiscovery-config.xml.

Hi,

Here are the files you've requested.

BTW, I have change the SNMP to V3 for testing, and I'm still not getting any success with device discovery.

SNMP settings is identical to all the other devices currently in LMS, which worked at the start.

I may be doing something wrong, here is the step I take for device discovery:

- config snmp on device IOS

- add seed to device discovery in CM

- setup snmp credentials (both v2 and v3) CM

- start discovery CM

- CWA server setup

- add device

- add devices to LMS apps

The fact that you are using CWA could be the problem. There is a known bug that starting Discovery through CWA causes database connections to leak. Try this. Shutdown dmgtd. Clear out the CSDiscovery.log and ngdiscovery.log files. Restart dmgtd. DO NOT use CWA. Instead, go to Common Services > Device Discovery, and start a discovery from there.

Thanks again jclarke. I will follow the steps you stated and will update this thread.

Peter

Hi,

This is what I got from the Device Discovery:

----------------------------------------------

log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (CTM.common).

log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.

2008/07/14 10:06:30 SnmpSocketManager: Shutting down all SNMP sockets.

Io error while closing SnmpSocket : Cannot assign requested address: Datagram send failed

----------------------------------------------

I'm still getting Unreachable Devices for all DCR.

This doesn't indicate a problem. What about in the ngdiscovery.log?

Nothing on the ngdiscovery.log. I must have miss something. Ive decided to rebuild the server from scratch using the other RAID1 harddrive which only has WIN2k3 SP2 and LMS 3.0.1.

So far this is a blank system with no configs.

I will do the following:

-Load seeds using txt file with all the host IP Address.

-Use CDP and configure SNMP default credentials

-Apply SNMP on the host listed on the seed list

-Run Device Discovery

Please confirm if this is correct?

If successful, I should see the list of seed device on, say Chassis View under CiscoView as a start.

Make sure you also configure the SNMP credentials in Discovery, and DO NOT run Discovery from CWA. This should be fine.

Hi jclarke,

I think I've found the problem previously on this thread where LMS cannot contact the device via CDP SNMP. I've configure both SNMP v2 and v3 on the Discovery Settings. I think user are suppose to be running one at a time. Once I remove SNMP v3 and only configure SNMP v2 on both LMS server and Cisco device, the Discovery results to reachable.

Please confirm if this LMS standard?

Thanks

If LMS is configured with v3 credentials for a device, then it will ONLY try and use v3 to communicate with that device. For example, if you configure a range *.*.*.* for v2 credentials AND v3 credentials, Discovery will ONLY try the v3 credentials. If you need to mix and match v2 with v3, be sure you tighten your ranges accordingly (i.e. so they do not overlap).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: