Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple PPPoE client on a router

franklaszlo
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

one of my customers wants me to set up a router to use multiple DSL connections for bandwidth aggregation and load balancing. I have found some articles suggesting that after IOS 12.4(15)T multiple PPPoE clients are supported, however, these descriptions are not clear for me because all of them are talking about ATM PVC's while I have to use ethernet interface.

Does someone have experience with such configuration ?

Thanks in advance,

Laszlo

3 Replies 3

amritpatek
Level 6
Level 6

For PPPoE over ATM, one PVC will support only one PPPoE client. Multiple PPPoE clients can run concurrently on different PVCs, but each PPPoE client must use a separate dialer interface and a separate dialer pool. For PPPoE over Ethernet, each PPPoE client must use a separate dialer interface and a separate dialer pool.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Lazlo,

you probably refer to the following

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4t/12_4t15/mpppoec.html

But this a different subject from what your customer has asked you.

In that document multiple PPPoE client are supported over a single ATM PVC not for load-balancing but for redundancy backup reason and they are associated with DDR.

In your case you will need as many ethernet interfaces as are the DSL connections with a PPPoE client over each of them.

Then you will have a default route for each DSL connection.

Actually only a PPPoE per physical ethernet interface is supported.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello Giuseppe,

thank you for your answer.

Yes, I was referring to the article you linked in, and I also suspected that isnot my solutuion. It just gave me a second thought that it might alse be possible for ethernet interfaces.

Using phyisical ethernet interfaces with distict PPPoE clients can also be a solution, I just do not understand how load balancing would work for that.

Thanks,

Laszlo

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card