Cisco Network Simulators

Unanswered Question
Jul 9th, 2008

Network Simulators

I am looking for a good network simulator. Can anyone give me advice as to which one I should buy?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
azore2007 Wed, 07/30/2008 - 23:17

Cisco is coming out with their own network simulator in september i think

Its Wendell who has designed it for CCNA labs

Hopefully it will be great :D

asad.rizvi Wed, 01/14/2009 - 00:32

Go for GNS3. Its free. Its easy to configure. But at the same time, it gives you a real IOS not simulation.

Its great.

ccbootcamp Thu, 01/15/2009 - 21:49
Michael Bailey Wed, 01/21/2009 - 01:09

Thanks for your reply. Its a real world situation i'm trying to simulate.

I'll look at Dynamips!

ericn8484_2 Thu, 02/19/2009 - 05:05

I would be curious as to how Cisco feels about using Dynamips or any type of simulator for both real world testing and certification testing. We have access to the Cisco IOS images legitimately however when you go to download them, you have to click on the nice “I Agree” button which explicitly denied you the right to use to IOS for that purpose and threatens to take away your access=(

It would be nice to use the images though for cert testing to help pass the test and understand the IOS and feature sets. It would be even more helpful troubleshooting real world issues like routing problems, test features/bug fixes on new version of the IOS's before deploying out to production. But once again, Cisco's agreement says you can't do that legitimately.

dirtipacket Wed, 03/04/2009 - 17:54

Is there a way to get Packet Tracer if you are not an academy student?

WillStott Wed, 03/04/2009 - 03:38

Although training is one use for a simulator, I should have thought that the compelling reason for Cisco to do some work in this area is to allow the testing of configuration changes.

My Cisco Partner takes the approach of assuming that everything is ok once the config file has been copied to the running-config without error. Clearly, this is a bit optimistic. A much better approach would be to test the configuration beforehand against some sort of simulator that could also perform functional testing. What are people's thought's about this? How do you test configuration changes apart from the suck it and see approach?

andrew.fedyszak... Wed, 03/04/2009 - 10:12

I agree 100%

My background before Cisco and Check Point was in mainframes and no one would even dream of just rolling out changes without testing.

I know of the case of 2 CCIEs in the bank getting sacked after rolling out untested changes.

Cisco should have evaluation licence programme like other vendors (limited users, time window, VPN numbers or all of these etc) so , for example, I could use old failover PIX 515E for testing and/or training as UR box.

Since this is not available many users resort to NGS3/Dynamips etc.

Commercially it is false policy, because better trained support staff helps to promote Cisco products.

When faced with GUI based competition and training budget restrictions, Cisco should reconsider their approach (including lack of formal training books in security arena)

This Discussion