cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ping a Serial Interface on a 3845 router

drking0414
Level 1
Level 1

Currently I'm using 2x3845 routers with 4x 16 port SSC cards. Each serial interface is set-up with an IP address and a peer IP address. (Please see attach configuration).

I log into the router using a Linux laptop. I'm unable to ping the serial IP address, however I can ping the peer IP address. Each serial interface is set with PPP enable. My question why can I ping the serial interface IP address?

5 Replies 5

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

There is a access-list which is denying all the traffic under u r serial interface.

Remove it and try if u can.

Thanks

Mahmood

R U talking removing the following statement "access-list 101 deny ip any any" from the access list? This was the very first thing I did and I still do not have any luck.

a.alekseev
Level 7
Level 7

It depends not only on your stetting but it also depends on the settings on the another side.

ping for localWAN intefaces always travels through remote end.

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

This, unfortunately, is one of the inherent behaviors of a PPP link. You can ping the peer address but not your own.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Can you point me to a "DOC" or "RFC" that will help explain this to my peers?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card