cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

switch shutdown by another switch.

dkipkemboi
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3750g-48 switch with static IP and 12.2.35 se2 ipservicek9 ios working fine. By mistake I connected another 3750g with the same IP address but with 12.2.44 se2 ios. they both have the same vlan. I shutdown the vlan on the new switch and the old switch went down. My question is that did the old one go down because I shutdown the vlan or because of IP address conflict?

2 Replies 2

n.nandrekar
Level 4
Level 4

Hi!

It is difficult to know the exact reason as this is not an expected behaviour. You have probably hit a bug in the device image and the trigger for the reset could be any of the combinations. A ip address conflict should definitely not bring down a device. Neither should shutting down a vlan on 1 switch affect the other.

Regards,

Niranjan

Hi Niranjan,

Thank you for the july 9 response. Today, I updated cisco 3750-24 firmware to c3750-ipbasek9-mz.122-44.SE2 after configuring the ip and the vlan X. I then disconnected the switch and using the console port, changed the IP number,set the vlan to a different vlan X2. I then shut the old vlan X and removed from the configuration, by "no vlan X. I then took the switch and connected to the new vlan X2, but as soon has it came up, the switch controling the old vlan X was shutdown. That switch was then restarted and the "no shut" was issued on that vlan X. Is there a known bug that could be causing this?

Your help will be appreciated.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco