cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-AP1210 low signal

fvriezen777
Level 1
Level 1

We have 2 new AIR-AP1210 acces points and we try to configure them. Everything works, but the signal is very poor. Even if the accespoint is near my notebook (1m). We leave the config very basic so i dont understand why the signal is so poor in it's default state...anyone an idea?

thx Ferdi

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The antenna's correctly attached and is the correct frequency?

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I think so, see the picture. I have two antennas (AIR-ANT5135D-R) 5GHz connected to the ap (5Ghz).

Kind regards,

Ferdi

bcolvin
Level 3
Level 3

THe 1210 requires two external antennas when operating in diversitey mode. what antennas are you using.

The 1210 has no builtin antennas

HTH

Bill

I have two external antennas (AIR-ANT5135D-R) connected to the 5 GHz(see attached photo). See the network stumbler image for the low signal.

Kind regards,

Ferdi

Richard Atkin
Level 4
Level 4

I think NetStumbler is playing tricks with you. If you're THAT close to the AP, even with no antennae on the 2.4GHz end, you'll still receive a signal, which I think is what NetStumbler is reporting.

Configure the SSID to ONLY work only on the A-Radio and/or move yourself further away from the AP. My sneaky suspicion is that NetStumbler is actually reporting the 2.4GHz, not the 5GHz.

Another thing to look at is, get a client associated to the AP (at various ranges) and run the CLI command

Show Dot11 Associations All-Client

This will show you all associated clients, and provide you some infication of their RSSI / SNR (can't remember which). I'd be more trusting of the AP CLI Output than NetStumbler.

I configured the SSID to only work on the A-Radio (see attacement SSID Manager.pdf).

I went 7m away from the access point. But still log signal (says Windows). The strange thing is that when i connect the signal is excellent.

I run the CLI command on 7m and 20m(see attachements), the signal decrease on 20m. When i go +/- 47m away the notebook lost its connection...

Are the distances you're talking about indoors? It looks like you're in an office environment? 802.11A doesn't pass through obstacles even half as well as 2.4GHz does...

Yes indoors and in an office environment.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: