TPC - Can it increase power levels? Or Not?

Unanswered Question
Jul 9th, 2008
User Badges:

Hello all,

so as the Cisco RRM document states :

"The TPC algorithm is only responsible for turning power levels down"

but on the calculation criteria, it says "If Tx power needs to be increased: TPC hysteresis of 3dBm must be met"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_tech_note09186a008072c759.shtml#tpca

I have asked a similar question on TPC before:

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Wireless%20-%20Mobility&topic=WLAN%20Radio%20Standards&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.2cc0c73a

But I am still a little confused.

Many thx indeed,

Ken

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
kfarrington Wed, 07/09/2008 - 10:08
User Badges:

Hi Guys,

Couple of more points here.

1. Can I say that TPC is to reduce power only within the RF domain based on the -65 default value and to stop RF-bleed.

2. Can I say that the Coverage Hole Algorithm function is the only way that APs would increase the TX power if they see a client for "x" amount of time with an SNR below the configured threshold?

3. Is it not a risk, to have coverage hole detection, as a "client" could increase your infrastructure RF bleed and this could be a client not even associated to your network? I would understand if an AP went down, to cover the covergae hole, but a client with a bad signal, that can change the dynamics of your network ???????

4. Can you disable Coverage Hole Algorithm on the WLC?

I suppose the main way of looking at this (and correct me if I am wrong) is TPC is there to stop RF bleed (correct) and Coverage Hole Algorithms are there to increase range of RF signal (Correct?)

Many thx guys, - Need a beer!

Ken

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics: Other Wireless Mobility

client could not be authenticated
Network Analysis Module (NAM) Products
Cisco 6500 nam
reason 440 driver failure
Cisco password cracker
Cisco Wireless mode