Views
Helpful
Replies

vlan for a beginer

richard_krick
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

i have two servers both need to run dhcp and dns, one server does the home network and the second server runs my voip phones. I have a c3640 router and c2900xl switch. on the switch i set up vlan 2 with 4 ports for the voip server and phones. I would like to get my voip server on the internet. I have 2 extra c2611 routers and c2900xl switches. looking for ideas, with some of the configuration commands i will need to use

14 Replies 14

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Richard,

Have you configured any of the equipment?

yes, i have the router configured with nat. i deleted the vlan i had with the voip. i am waiting to see what i can do. the other 2 routers and switches have no configuration.

Hi Richard,

What exactly do you want to happen ? Please let us know of your plans/goals so that we can better assist you.

Thanks,

K0rg

I need the voip server to connect to the internet to update the server. I have to keep it off my internal network becouse it has its own dns and dhcp. The older call manager software i was given to use runs on windows 2000 server and can not be upgraded to 2k3. I run 2k3 for my home network dns and dhcp with the cisco router using nat.

Whats the best way i can accomplish this task, what additional equipment will i need.

Easiest way,

Create a vlan for the voice, create a vlan for the data. Create a trunk ports on the switch connect the trunk port to the 3640. Create sub-interfaces on the 3640 for the two vlans using speperate IP address ranges.

HTH.

i would use vlans to do it but i do not know enough about it. i tried a different aproch.

I added a second router and switch. I even tried to use rip so i would not have to add any routes.I was not sure if rip would work with just 2 routers.let me give you a basic diagram

on my 3640 router01

int e1/0 192.168.1.1 connects to switch01

int e1/1 dhcp isp internet

switch01

192.168.1.2 for telnet

all clinets connected to switch and my hp server does dns,dhcp

2611 router02

int e0/0 192.168.1.3 connected to switch01

int e0/1 192.168.2.1 connected to switch02

switch02 192.168.2.254 for telnet

all clients connected to switch and VOIP server does the dns,dhcp for the 2 ip phones

the 2 segments work like they should but in my current setup i can't ping anything on the different subnets

I think this is becouse i have the one router hooked to the switch.

i will be ordering a second modual for my 3640 router, but until then anything i can do to get this working

Richard,

Firstly - I think you should read up on VLAN's, they are very usefull and powerfull.

Secondly - for a simplre requirement, you are making it very complex; which is unnessary.

The way you have it configured and connected is more complex than it needs to be to work. You certainly do not need to purchase any more equipment than you have - what are you actually trying to do??

i am not a 100% sure. i want to get my voip server to connect to the internet but how is where i am stuck. I never had a formal cisco training so what i can read in books and try to use is not helping me. what are my options?

OK - post the configuration files of all devices, you have worked on so far - lets see what can be done!

I posted the routers config in the attachment router.txt. I have done nothing with the switches but to add a telnet password and set a defualt gateway. if you still need them i will post them

thanks

Richard,

I would add the below:-

Router01

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Ethernet1/1

access-list 1 permit 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255

access-list 1 permit 192.168.2.0 0.0.0.255

!

router rip

redistribute static metric 3

no auto-summary

Router-2

router rip

no auto-summary

!

no ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Ethernet0/1

no ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Ethernet0/0

Explanination:-

Router1 - add a default route out to the internet, redistribute the default route via RIP to router2

allow the Data & VoIP devices to bring up the internet.

Router2 - remove the 2 x default routes, not required as router01 is now distibuting the default route.

HTH.

I have made all the changes, i tried to ping from my pc and the router to each of the different subnets no success. I have attaches the new configs for you to check over and to see if they are correct.

Richard,

Can you post the output from this command on router01:-

show ip route <>

show ip int brief <>

show arp <>

ping 192.168.3.1 <>

ping 192.168.2.1 <>

and the same for router02

show ip route <>

show ip int brief <>

show arp <>

ping 192.168.1.1 <>

Also what default gateway IP address have you given to your pc?

I see you listed ping 192.168.3.1

on router02 i assigned 192.168.1.3

the 192.168.1.3 is connected to switch01

the 192.168.2.1 is connected to switch02

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: