Views
Helpful
Replies

Error ping a switch from the router

sameoj1881
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i have an issue,my company just bought a router 2811,i have configured all that i necessary on both the router and switch.

From the switch i can ping any machine on my LAN and i can also ping the ISP GATEWAY FROM MY ROUTER.

WAT CAN BE THE PROBLEM,AM USING A CAT 500 switch.

Please i need your support.

8 Replies 8

singhsaju
Level 4
Level 4

so you are not able to ping switch ip address from the router? check the default gateway on the switch.

HTH

Have checked the default gateway,its the router ip address,wats else shouldi check,thanks

Hi,

Am i correct in assuming that the you cannot ping ISP gateway from the switch ?

Have you configured NAT on the Router?

HTH

Saju

Here is the issue, ican`t ping the switch from the router but i can ping the isp gateway from the router,neither can any of my user with the LAN ping the router. I have set the router interface as the default gateway on my switch yet i can`t ping the switch from my router. The switch is a catalyst 500 express switch, it has no CLI,its only GUI,if not i will have try to ping the router from the switch as well.

Your comments will be deeply appreciated,many thanks in advance.

what are the ip addresses configured here on the router and the switch ? Hope you have configured the correct network/netmask.

HTH

Saju

michael.leblanc
Level 4
Level 4

Your problem statement is vague.

If the switch is directly connected to the internal interface of the router, they should share the same Network ID.

What is the IP address and network mask of the internal interface of the router?

What is the IP address and network mask of the switch?

Are the network masks the same, and do they share the same Network ID?

Do you have an ACL applied to the internal interface of the router (inbound or outbound) that would prohibit ICMP?

The switch is directly connected to internal int of the router which is fa0/0.

The ip addr of the switch is 172.16.3.3 mask of /24 default-gateway is 172.16.3.1

internal int of router which is fa0/0 is 172.16.3.1 mask of /24

Am not sure if an ACL is applied to the internal int will check to see that.

Thanks for the clarity

michael.leblanc
Level 4
Level 4

Would someone explain the following thread behavior to me?

I responded to the original post on July 9 at 4:41 PST, and yet four posts from July 10th are listed above mine.

How does this occur?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: