cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IEEE 802.3ad Link Bundling with Cisco 2600 Series - Unrecognized command

lbrinias8546
Level 1
Level 1

I've been trying to implement Link Aggregation on a Cisco 2611XM Router, using the onboard interfaces FastEthernet0/0 and FastEthernet0/1, so far I followed this article:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2sb/feature/guide/sbcelacp.html

Simple said, I want to create a trunk with the two Fast Ethernet interfaces onboard.

In the global configuration mode I've identified the port channel and tried to configure the interface in a channel group:

arnsberg#configure terminal

Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.

arnsberg(config)#interface port-channel 1

arnsberg(config-if)#channel-group 5 mode active

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

As you can see, the channel-group command is unrecognized. I am running IOS 12.3(4)T7.

Is IEEE 802.3ab not supported in the Type T Release?

6 Replies 6

ralphcarter
Level 1
Level 1

You enable "channel-group 5 mode active" on the actual interface and not on the port-channel

int f0/0

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk encap dot1q

channel-protocol lacp

channel-group 5 mode active

int f0/1

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk encap dot1q

channel-protocol lacp

channel-group 5 mode active

Depending on the Ios, this will create the port-channel 5 for you or you need to make it manualy with the "interface port-channel 5"

Then under the port-channel 5, you manually set:

# switchport mode trunk

# switchport trunk encap dot1q

CCIE 26175
www.techsnips.com

Sorry, I have to say, I haven't included every command used in the posting. When on the actual interface and using the channel-group command, it is still not recognized. However, even if not on the actual interface, channel-group should still be a recognized command - at least according to the Feature Guide.

However, any of the other commands you posted, aren't recognized either.

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

AFAIK, none of the lower end router platforms support link aggregation at all. I think the 10000 and 12000 do so, but there you are talking BIG router$. Sorry.

But it is strange it allowed you to go into a port-channel interface at all. Maybe the NM-16ESW module supports EtherChannel, but I don't think so.

In any case, if you could do it, you would put the channel-group n mode active command on the physical interfaces, and then configure the corresponding port-Channel interface (Pon) for the bundle.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Well, looking at the feature guide, it does say that this command was implemented on the Cisco 2600, 3600 and 3700 series from 12.2(2)XT and 12.2(8)T. Also does Cisco state, that it is not required to create a port channel previously.

I thought about the same - regarding the NM-16ESW - however, I couldn't find any related information.

Kevin is correct old routers like the 2621 would not do etherchannel . If they supported hwics and could runn newer code it might work but only with a switch card installed in the router . It probably took the commands because cisco likes to leave commands in the code even when they are not supported on a given platform.

a.alekseev
Level 7
Level 7

Port-Channel is not supported on this platform.

You can you BVI instead.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card