65k question

Tahir Ali
Level 1
Level 1

hi All,

I have a very small thing to ask i.e

I have a 6513 with redundant SUP-720s.

The question is that

1 )can we access both the SUP console simultaneously?

2) if not, then how can we switch console from primary to redundant while primary being functional as the sec. sup is locked when the primary is functional.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

n.nandrekar
Level 4
Level 4

hi!

You cannot "access" the redundant console but it is locked and you cannot execute any commands on that console.

As for your second question, You can make the redundant as the "active" sup and then you will be able to access the console. You can issue a command "redundancy force-switchover" on the active. This will reload the active and the redundant will become active.

For what purpose do you need to access the redundant console? There is no need to do that as any configuration can be made on the active, and it is synced to the redundant. You can also access the physical resources os the redundant (eg flash etc) using slave prefix (eg. dir slavedisk0: / slaveboot-flash, slavesup-bootdisk: )

Regards,

Niranjan

(pls rate if post helps)

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

lee.reade
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

You cannot access the console port on the standby sup, as it is inactive whilst in standby.

You cannot access the actual standby sup itself, as why would you do that? it has a mirror copy of the active sup config!

You can however run various commands against the standby sup from within the active sup, such as ;

dir slavebootflash:

copy slavebootflash:

etc...

HTH

LR

n.nandrekar
Level 4
Level 4

hi!

You cannot "access" the redundant console but it is locked and you cannot execute any commands on that console.

As for your second question, You can make the redundant as the "active" sup and then you will be able to access the console. You can issue a command "redundancy force-switchover" on the active. This will reload the active and the redundant will become active.

For what purpose do you need to access the redundant console? There is no need to do that as any configuration can be made on the active, and it is synced to the redundant. You can also access the physical resources os the redundant (eg flash etc) using slave prefix (eg. dir slavedisk0: / slaveboot-flash, slavesup-bootdisk: )

Regards,

Niranjan

(pls rate if post helps)

thanks both of you :) actually i know this is a stupid question but one of my client is not signing the PAT as he cant access the redundant SUP's console... We needed a written confirmation to show them that this cant be done.

If you guys can find a cisco doc about this then it will help me alot.. thanks again

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card