cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN config on 2811 with Fa and HWIC

tato386
Level 6
Level 6

I have a 2811 router with the 9port HWIC installed. I am trying to use the Fa0/0 port as an uplink to my corporate LAN for the VLAN that is configured on the HWIC. I have tried adding an IP directly to the Fa port and also tried creating dot1q subinterfaces on the Fa port with no luck. When I did this the local IPs could ping each other but no connection to the corporate LAN could be established. I resorted to using one of the HWIC ports as the uplink using the config below. How can I setup the Fa port as the uplink so I can free up the HWIC port I am currently using?

Thanks,

Diego

!

interface FastEthernet0/0

no ip address

duplex auto

speed auto

!

interface FastEthernet0/3/0

switchport mode trunk

switchport voice vlan 100

!

interface FastEthernet0/3/1

switchport mode trunk

!

interface FastEthernet0/3/2

switchport mode trunk

!

!

interface Vlan1

ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0

!

interface Vlan100

ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

!

6 Replies 6

a.alekseev
Level 7
Level 7

You cannot connect 9port HWIC to you internal LAN through onboard F0/0,F0/1 ports..

"interface Vlan100" and

"interface F0/0.100

enacap dot1q 100"

is not the same thing..

How do you distinguish between them and what's the use of "interface Vlan" command?

I don't understand where you are going with that. Would you be so kind as to give more detail?

Thanks,

Diego

my english is not perfect :))

you have a router with two onboard ports (F0/0,F0/1) and one virtual port for HWIC access. The virtual port is a trunk to your HWIC. To access vlan 200 on HWIC you must create "interface vlan200".

But there is no briging between the virtual port and F0/0,F0/1.

So you can connect them each other only by routing.

I believe that is the case with hwics , they are basically a standalone switch inserted into a router chassis .

I think I understand now. Thank you very much.

Diego

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card