cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN config on 2811 with Fa and HWIC

tato386
Level 6
Level 6

I have a 2811 router with the 9port HWIC installed. I am trying to use the Fa0/0 port as an uplink to my corporate LAN for the VLAN that is configured on the HWIC. I have tried adding an IP directly to the Fa port and also tried creating dot1q subinterfaces on the Fa port with no luck. When I did this the local IPs could ping each other but no connection to the corporate LAN could be established. I resorted to using one of the HWIC ports as the uplink using the config below. How can I setup the Fa port as the uplink so I can free up the HWIC port I am currently using?

Thanks,

Diego

!

interface FastEthernet0/0

no ip address

duplex auto

speed auto

!

interface FastEthernet0/3/0

switchport mode trunk

switchport voice vlan 100

!

interface FastEthernet0/3/1

switchport mode trunk

!

interface FastEthernet0/3/2

switchport mode trunk

!

!

interface Vlan1

ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0

!

interface Vlan100

ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

!

6 Replies 6

a.alekseev
Level 7
Level 7

You cannot connect 9port HWIC to you internal LAN through onboard F0/0,F0/1 ports..

"interface Vlan100" and

"interface F0/0.100

enacap dot1q 100"

is not the same thing..

How do you distinguish between them and what's the use of "interface Vlan" command?

I don't understand where you are going with that. Would you be so kind as to give more detail?

Thanks,

Diego

my english is not perfect :))

you have a router with two onboard ports (F0/0,F0/1) and one virtual port for HWIC access. The virtual port is a trunk to your HWIC. To access vlan 200 on HWIC you must create "interface vlan200".

But there is no briging between the virtual port and F0/0,F0/1.

So you can connect them each other only by routing.

I believe that is the case with hwics , they are basically a standalone switch inserted into a router chassis .

I think I understand now. Thank you very much.

Diego

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card