Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving APs to controller in different Mobility Group

l.mourits
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

Project roll out question here. We have an existing environment with 4400 series controller and 1130 LAPs.

To provide Internet access for guests we have a guest wifi that hands of traffic in one of our datacenters.

Since usage is rapidly growing we are adding a set of controllers in a second datacenter, using a second mobility group (so far this sense I hope).

Now, I need to move the existing LAPs in one region to the new installed controllers in the new mobility group. I tried one by just changing the primary contrller but it keeps registering to one of the controllers in the first mobility group.

Anyone can shine a light on how to approach this. I need to move appr. 40 LAPs and 2 controller to the new mobility group (meaning changing them and leaving others in).

Thanks in advance,

Leo

3 Replies 3

Richard Atkin
Level 4
Level 4

Easiest way is probably to put all controllers in the same mobility group, and get the APs on the controllers you want, assign primary, secondary controllers (etc) then change the Mobility Group of two of the Controllers, breaking the link and creating your two domains. The APs will stay on whatever controller they're on.

Thanks, that is what I thought should be the best way. It makes me wonder though. Does the LAP save the mobility group info locally then?

Yes. The LAP's will know of the other WLC via the mobility group information and does store that locally. Here is from a Cisco doc:

When the AP boots or resets, it only knows the controller management IP addresses from DNS (Cisco-lwapp-controller@local_domain.com) (20 max), DHCP option 43 (20 max), OTAP, 255.255.255.255, and the previously joined controller. The controllers in the mobility group of the previously joined controller are not retained across reboots.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk721/technologies_tech_note09186a00807a85b8.shtml#ap-load

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: