cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

subnet explination

jasosan22
Level 1
Level 1

Saw this configuration on a client and couldn't figure out how this works.

Client configuration:

Address: 10.10.21.26

Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gate: 10.25.50.1

With the given subnet mask how does it get to the default gateway on a differient subnet?

8 Replies 8

michael.leblanc
Level 4
Level 4

If it doesn't have "another" interface on the same network as the default gateway, then the configuration is wrong.

I am not sure what the router configuration is. I know that the switch(router)Is a 3750 and that it is running VLANS. I know it has a voice and a data.

Was there an active VPN?

paul.matthews
Level 5
Level 5

This is on a *client*, not a piece of the network? Was the client able to work? Did the client have any other interfaces? VPNs?

Basically if that is the whole story, it should not work, however some (old) clients seem to ignore mask settings. That, combined with the use of proxy arp may let it work anyway.

letsgomets
Level 1
Level 1

This wouldn't work at all.

shane.kearney
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, the ip address of 10.10.21.26 /24 has a resident network address of 10.10.21.0 so the first available address is 10.10.21.1 and the last available address is 10.10.21.254 with the broadcast address 10.10.21.255, so any address between 10.10.21.1 and 10.10.21.254 is available and can be used as a default gateway, the whole subnet is 10.10.21.0-255 so the default gateway must reside within this subnet. the configuration above cannot possibly work.

Hope this helps.

May be the router was configured with proxy-arp, and the client's were NOT using the default gateway to get to the other subnets. Just a thought :)....

mklaphek
Level 1
Level 1

I have seen this work IF the client is also using a proxy server (such as Microsoft ISA). In that way, the client, which usually only uses email and web, will go the the ISA server and the gateway won't matter.

Howwver, as others have pointed out, "normal" Layer 3 connectivity isn't possible (or at least shouldn't be!). So, pings should fail, along with other connectivity.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: