cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

routing issues

akjoel2004ie
Level 1
Level 1

I have two remote sites that I am trying to grant connection to my LAN via a router connected to a 3550 switch on a different network from my own network. And I have 3 switches between my own router and that 3550 switch earlier mentioned. What should the configuration on my router and the other router look like for traffic to flow both ways.

Router--->switch--->switch--->switch(2950)--->switch(3550)--->Router ---------->Remote sites to be connected to my LAN

4 Replies 4

srue
Level 7
Level 7

not enough information.

are you running any routing protocols?

are any of your switches routing?

yes

runing eigrp

and the 3550 switch is routing

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Kolawole,

all you need is a L2 Vlan defined on the three switches in the middle. This vlan will be allowed on all inter-switch (=permitted on the trunk links). Your router will be connected to an access port in the same vlan.

At the other side the same can be done for the port connecting on the remote router.

On your router and the C3550 you define a common IP subnet that will be advertised in eigrp. As soon as an EIGRP neighborship is built over the vlan you have interconnected.

If you don't control the c3550 you need to ask to the administrator to configure a vlan for you and to assign that vlan to the two ports the one to the remote router and the one to your last 2950. (just a L2 service)

hope to help

Giuseppe

olances
Level 1
Level 1

If I recall 2950s can't do IP routing protocols. therefore, a layer two vlan must exist in every switch along the path for the traffic to transverse from source to destination

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: