cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1232 AP and 802.3af (PoE) issues.....

lonnylegrand99
Level 1
Level 1

I use Cisco 1232's in a wireless solution, and they work great. They can get power (PoE) from an 8 port Linksys switch, but the 24 port PoE switch wont power them. After a call from Linksys they confirmed that all their switches are 802.3af standard. The Cisco 1131 AP's that I use as well get power from this switch but not the 1232's.

Is there a setting somewhere on the 1232's that make it compatible with the 802.3af standard or is there a firmware upgrade that fixes this.

Currently I have them powered with a power injector, but I'd like to be able to use the PoE ports on the switch to power them by.

If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

Lonny

3 Replies 3

rseiler
Level 3
Level 3

The 1231/1232 APs only support Cisco PoE, they *DO NOT* support 802.3af. See the following URL for more info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/controller/deployment/guide/dep.html#wp1053144

Thanks. That explained it all.

Strange though, some are .3af and some are not.

Seems like Cisco should make their AP's compatible both ways. It appears that the industry standard is becoming .3af

The 1230 series aps were made before 802.3af was ratified. all other aps and phones were later supported.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card