Stopping Skype in IOS

Unanswered Question
Jul 10th, 2008

Hi, i would like to know how to block skype under IOS.

as i read the article, http://ciscotips.wordpress.com/2006/06/07/how-to-block-skype/

it can be done, but many posted that skype does manage to pass through the router via different protocol.

Other than FPM, what other option do i have to block the skype. Please advice. thx

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
michael.leblanc Fri, 07/11/2008 - 15:02

I'm not at all familiar with Skype, but I will suggest the following:

Many applications provide the option of "port 80 tunneling" as an alternative to using their native port assignment (to get through firewalls).

If you establish appropriate interface ACLs (restrict transiting traffic to specific applications permitted by security policy), and combine it with Granular Protocol Inspection (GPI), and the APPFW inspection feature, I believe you would succeed.

We have eliminated use of generic TCP and UDP inspection with GPI, and have used the APPFW feature to eliminate P2P, IM, and port 80 tunneling (with HTTP compliance verification).

Some of the other application-specific inspections also perform compliance checks.

I'd start with verifying which protocols and ports Skype can utilize, and configure accordingly.

Actions

This Discussion