cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless LAN Controller terms

kian_hong2000
Level 1
Level 1

What is the purpose and reason for using management, AP-manager, virtual, and service-port interface?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

My bad... I mean WLC

In band is telnet, ssh to the management ip. out of band is when the port has no real connection to your network. That is why the ip address of the service port is an ip address that is not part of your network nor should it be routable in your network. In case you loos connection to the management and you don't know the commands for the cli, you can connect to the service port and use the gui.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Management is for management of the lwc

AP-Manager is for communication between the ap and the WLC

Virtual is for Layer 3 Security and Mobility managers to use

Service Port is for out of band management

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_configuration_example09186a0080665cdf.shtml

-Scott

I still have some doubts.

1) What is twc stand for? Is it Wireless Control System?

2) What is the correct meaning of In-band and Out-Band management? Can i say Out-band is for telnet, ssh etc and In-band is for console?

3) Why we need Service port since we already have Management?

My bad... I mean WLC

In band is telnet, ssh to the management ip. out of band is when the port has no real connection to your network. That is why the ip address of the service port is an ip address that is not part of your network nor should it be routable in your network. In case you loos connection to the management and you don't know the commands for the cli, you can connect to the service port and use the gui.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card