Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HowTo: View the Port Capacity of my switches

Hi there

With regards capacity planning, we follow a very recative process of "knowing how many ports are in use", and thus waht essentially our utilised capacity may be.

To my knowledge, there is no "automated" means of generating information taht displays the number of switches in the organisation, with each switch's utilised port capacity, but I hope I am wrong.

Please could I hear response from the community whether such a facility is indeed available within CiscoWorks, and if so, from which version of the product. And failing that, does anyone know of any other products out there that can in fact provide me with such a report?

Regards

William R.

8 Replies 8

robv
Level 1
Level 1

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

See this thread:

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=Network%20Management&topicID=.ee71a02&fromOutline=&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.2cc13f5d

There is also a Switch Port Capacity report in User Tracking which will show you devices whose port usage is over a certain percentage.

I don't like the switch port reports in CW.

The problem is that they count vlans and sup-interfaces which is not always very usefull e.g. each of our Access-Points count with 7 ports in the report-output.

I would prefer a report which would only count the 'real' physical copper or glass ports. So that a Access-Points has 1 and a 2950G-48 50 ports.

Agreed. I have a bug open for this, and it should hopefully be taken care of by LMS 3.2.

I cannot find the bug id (problems whit the Bug Tool). Could you please reveal it?

I think it is worth that we try and push this a little through Cisco Accounters from different customers.

This could be a really good feature for capacity planning (and Cisco presented it like this when introducing LMS 3.x)but it is rather useless in the current implementation...

@jclarke:

I agree with mermel. Switchport usage could be a valuable feature of LMS. However, at present it is unusable in it's current form...

-my 2 cents

The bug is CSCsj18806.

thanks, - so we'll see if we can pusch this a little and we have this feature in LMS 3.2 finallly :-)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: