Level 1

Hi,

i have problems discovering some switches. The setup is the following:

switch 1 ws-c3750g-12s

switch 2 ws-c3750g-48ts

switch 3 ws-c3750g-48ts

switch 4 ws-c3750g-48ts

The stack T2P2-C2 on the drawing is seed device

the problem is that i only see switches connected to the stack as neighbors, meening that it's not possible to see the connected switches in the discovered table, and it's not possible to get config and upload software.

hope you can help me.

Thanks

17 Replies 17

akemp
Level 5
Level 5

How about posting the config (redact sensitive information) of your stack master and one of the client switches on each of the spanning tree loops that you cant manage ?

Here is the config from the stack. Config on all other switches is almost the same as this one. I can see all switches from cdp.

cdp is layer 1/2, RME is layer 3 :)

Let me look at the config before I ask any more questions.

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is how a stack is managed: as ONE device. That's how it should be managed. Pulling the config from the stack master pulls the config from all slave switches. You'll see every port in the entire stack in the config (e.g. 1/0/1 - 4/0/50). The master is the only switch which has SNMP, STP, etc. configured on it anyway.

If you run an inventory report on the stack device in RME, you will see each chassis listed out (switches 1 through 4) so you can still do asset tracking.

As for software management, RME will push software to every member of the stack in succession in one job.

I know that a stack is handeled as one device, but that's not the problem. The problem i that i only see devices connected (switch ip adr. from .163 to .169 on the drawing) to the stack (not stack members) as neighbours , and cannot get config or upload software to these devices

Sorry, I misunderstood. However, I'm still not clear on what you're seeing, and I don't have Visio. Can you post a JPEG of the topology?

here is a .jpg of the setup

Okay, so you see the one stack device, T2P2-C2 properly discovered. You said you DO see the other 3500s (.163 through .169) as well, but you do not see the neighbors of these 3500s? Or is the problem that these 3500s (.163 through .169) are not being properly discovered? I want to ascertain exactly which devices are not discovered and which devices are not available for config and software operations.

I do see the 3500s but only as a neighbours, and if i only see the 3500s as neighbours, then i can't get the config from these switches, and on the topology wiev i only see the stack and not the 3500s. In the CS under user defined groups i have made a group, and a filter that include switches (Device.ManagementIpAddress contains "149.212.9.") The 3500s are not shown here either, only the seed device is in the table

Okay, so you see the 3500s as neighbors, but not as reachable devices in CS Discovery. And because of that, they are not being added to DCR. The additional confusion comes from the fact that the config you posted does not appear to be from any of the devices in this topology.

Assuming the LMS server can reach all of these 3550s via SNMP (go to Device Center > SNMP Walk, and try walking sysObjectID on these missing switches), double-check the community strings configured in CS Discovery, and make sure they are valid for these missing switches.

Also, check the configured CDP hop count for the 3750 Stack seed device. If the value is empty, that means an unlimited hop count.

Finally, check the CSDiscovery.log for any errors pertaining to these missing devices.

switches can still only be discovered as neighbours and not as reachable.

I have checked SNMP strings on alle switches, and they are right

And you are able to SNMP Walk the starting OID of sysObjectID from the LMS server? If so, please post your CSDiscovery.log and NMSROOT/conf/csdiscovery/CSDiscovery-config.xml.

Yes, i'm able to make SNMP walk.

Here is an updated drawing. There have been a change in IP addresses, but the result is the same as before.

I have found out that i can't discover all the devices on the 10.99.66.0/24 subnet, but it was the same before address change.

I see .20,.21,.24,.25,.27,.30,.34 as neighbours (not reachable devices), but i can't discover the rest, not even as neighbours.

the device .10 is seed device

According to your CSDiscovery-config.xml, you only have 10.99.66.10 in your IP filter list. Try adding 10.99.66.* to that list, and you should be able to find these missing switches.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: