cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

802.1d spanning tree vs rapid spanning tree

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, im thinking of moving to rstp in one of my new networks, firstly, can anyone tell me the major differences between the 2? and do I need to configure anything when implementing rstp? ie do you still have a root bridge, and if so can you set it manually like normal stp ?

cheers

5 Replies 5

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes you still have all the normal spanning tree parameters . The main difference that RSTP will converge when there is a change much faster usually within a couple seconds as opposed to like 45-50 seconds for normal spanning tree .

bvsnarayana03
Level 5
Level 5

as mentioned, RSTP is bit faster in terms of timers & convergence. There are no separate listening & learning states so it saves 15 seconds of the time. also in case of recalculations, it doesnt have to wait for the max-age to expire but it would reconverge the entire topology after 2 BPDU's are missed.

Hi there

so, with rstp, do we still have a root switch?

Root is mandatory is all types of spanning-trees.

Hi,

Rapid spanning-tree also permits you to configure a secondary root switch in case the primary fails. It also has many features such as bpud guard, root guard, etc to maintain the network's integrity.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card