CWDM

Unanswered Question
Jul 11th, 2008
User Badges:

I am going to be putting in a CWDM network in the near future. Prior to deploying the gear I want to hook the stuff up and play with it.

I'll have two rings

Cat6500|MUX8A -> 3750E|OADM1-1490 -> 3750E|OADM1-1510 -> 3560E|OADM1-1530-> Cat6500|MUX8A

Then another using a second MUX8A

I have cabled everything using 3 ft cables but I have not turned it on. I have read about the signal being too strong on short runs and using attenuators.

I do have some of those (2db, 5db and 7Db) but I am not sure which I should use. I am afraid of burning out my SFPs in my test environment.

Can anyone shed some light on this and point me in a direction that'll allow me to turn on my test environment ??

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
viyuan700 Sat, 07/26/2008 - 18:05
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

Hi pcanters,

Was able to get optical parameters for 6500 and i suppose your 2-7dB attaenuators will not be sufficient. Not for other so u can see in ur documentation

Take an optical meter and connect to the end of 3ft cable and see what is the optical power level it shd not be more than -7dBm should be always less than it.

Suppose if at end of ur 3 ft cable is 2dBm than you need a 10dB attenuator to get valure less than -7dBm (u will get -8dBm ).

Calucate for every SFP module.

Hope u have got the point if not let me know?

Actions

This Discussion