Views
Helpful
Replies

9 x pppoe dialers

arikgelman
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I have a cisco 3845 and i want to run 9 dialers to the internet.

I wan to have only one GigaEthernet link to the lan and the router will perform load balancing or sharing on the 9 dialers.

What is the best way to do this and if there is a partial configuration that i can look at for my situation.

The dialers are pppoe and have the same PVC of 8/48.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

the only way to have it working is having multiple default routes, or alternatively, dedicated routes, for example you route all "popular video site" to one interface, all "leading search engine" to another, etc.

One should actually be connected to the router to further troubleshoot the slowness when using multiple routes.

Eg check all the interfaces are working perfectly, etc.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

if you can find a way to put 8 x adsl interface in the router, that should work. I don;t see how you can 9 however.

Just configure "ppp ipcp default route" under dialer and you will be sharing with NAT.

After you've that working you can look at configuring so that when one or more adsl are not working, these are not used.

Note that where PPPoE works generally also PPPoA does, and that would give you the advantage of a bigger MTU and efficiency.

Please rate post if it does!

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello,

you need an ATM interface and release 12.4(15)T

look at the following link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4t/12_4t15/mpppoec.html

I don't think you can do it on a single gigabit interface port.

The pppoe-client command is accepted only on the physical interface and only once.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/bbdsl/command/reference/bba_02.html#wp1012653

I understand you wish to connect via gigabit interface to a lan switch where you connect 9 ADSL modems with PPPoE.

Try instead to buy a sub FE service where you can use a single PPPoE client and you can get enough BW for your needs.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

How can I do the load balancing thing?

I think this is not the right thing for me.

I have multiple lines(ATM phone lines) with dialer for every line, when i am configuring default route to the dialers the Internet becoming very slow, i think it some how connected to the load balancing because when i am using only one dialer every thing is working fine, but one dialer is not enough

Help please,

Hi,

the only way to have it working is having multiple default routes, or alternatively, dedicated routes, for example you route all "popular video site" to one interface, all "leading search engine" to another, etc.

One should actually be connected to the router to further troubleshoot the slowness when using multiple routes.

Eg check all the interfaces are working perfectly, etc.

Policy-map solved every thing! thank you very much for your help

Thanks for the appreciation and good luck!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: