Views
Helpful
Replies

upto what capacity 2800 series router support

imnilesh
Level 1
Level 1

HI;

as of now i have one 20 MB link terminated on 2811 router. want to conenct more 20 mb link on same router Is 2800 series router support it.

Max how much it will Link ca[pacity it will suport ?

NIlesh

11 Replies 11

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Check attached document. I don't think a 2811 is enough for 2 fully loaded 20mbps links, but you can try.

Please rate post if it helps!

What is mean of there is no DATA? - I am unable to see any data in from of 2811 in term of packet switching.

- Dharmesh Purohit

purohit_810
Level 5
Level 5

As of my knowledge 2811 will support another 20MB link.

Let us go through logically, if your router has 2 * 1000/100 mbps ports and if one is free then also you have 100MBPS free processing power.

Second, If traffic packet switch through the router, it doesn't mean how much traffic in and out.

Router doesn't store traffic, Max to max you have to tune up your frame size in troubleshooting and watch the fragmentation according to network nature.

Thanks,

Dharmesh Purohit

Dharmesh,

what are you talking about ?

1. your "logical" analysis has no real basis. Router do not necessarily have processing power for all the interfaces present.

2. What ???

3. No matter the frame size, no fragmentation occurs as a consequence of different traffic loads.

1. Just because a router has the interfaces doesn't mean it can run them all at full speed at the same time.

2. Fragmentation occures due to data type change(ethernet, token ring, frame relay, ect) not just speed change or frame size

3. Frames are a Layer2 data type not layer3 so as the router has to open it up to layer3 it will repack it for the out going interface (not subject to changing load)

Sorry for going off-topic, I just wanted to clarify that I did not low rated the post by Dharmesh above.

Even if his statements are incorrect I do not see appropriate to low rate any post, except blatantly random and useless ones, made without any real effort by the author.

I think Dharmesh wants to help but needs more time to acquire knowledge of how a router works.

Ok. Accepted but What is mean of in documatation there is no VALUE (Mean blank BOX)?

Thanks,

Dharmesh Purohit

Probably they did not tested the case as being non-relevant for typical customer use.

For example, no need to detail processing switching performances for ISR routers.

What does your mean? - I ask question on top of answer !!! Is it wrong?

- Dharmesh

It means, ISR routers and the IOS that runs on it can always use CEF switching, so there is no point in measuring performances for process switching, that is deprecated.

A slightly newer copy of the router performance document -- does show non-fast-path PPS ratings for 28xx.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco