cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

combine DSPs on different routers

wilson_1234_2
Level 3
Level 3

We have a new voice design in the implementation stages.

Originally we had:

Verizon-->Edge_router-->IP2IP_GW-->Call Manager

The Edge_router and IP2IP_GW are both 3845s.

It was determined that our failover dsign was not working properly and it was suggested that we make the IP2IP_GW router the edge router instead:

Verizon-->IP2IP_GW-->Call Manager

We have x4 64 DSP modules in the IP2IP_GW router and x4 48 DSPs in the Edge_router.

We need to utilize the DSPs in both routers.

Is there a way for us to utilize the DSPs in the other router for the transcoding that needs to be done?

If so, what is the most common way to do this?

The Edge_router is not needed in the new physical layout, can we just have the etherent interface in a "one-armed" configuration?

3 Replies 3

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can absolutely do that by creating a DSP Farm on the edge_router and registering it in CallManager and assigning to appro[priate MRG-->MRGL-->DP

Another alternative is to move the DSPs to the 3845 by adding NM cards with onboard DSPs.

Chris

Thanks for the reply,

Since I have already moved the DS3 to the IP2IP Gateway router, which makes it the edge router as well as the Voice Gateway,

Would I just have the ethernet interface of the old Edge router sit on the network and be used just for the DSP resources?

I have a NM that has some (I think 8s per card) DSP cards in it. Can I simply remove those and put the ones in the unused router in their place?

Also, is that the most common practice to make the IP2IP gateway the edge router as well?

Sure, all you need is an open IP connectivity to it.

What type of NM cards do you have? You should be using High Density NMs, i.e. NM-HDV2 and insert PVDM modules in them.

It depends on the carrier and requirements, also you need to be careful about security, if this router has direct connection to the internet ensure you apply proper security policies that you would put on all external facing routers.

HTH,

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: