cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3524-PWR switch not giving inline power to AP's

lilfame_01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi i am presently a junior network admin a a small college in NY. i am faced with a prob i hope and think that you guys can aid me with some advice or show me the right way to go.. I have a Cisco 3524 switch with inline power we have nodes and VOIP phones running on it but for some reason i cant get it to give the access points power. i did all the correct settings. i have tried three types of AP's on it alrealy none of them worked(dlink,meru AP200 and a cisco aironet 1200). Could it be the version of the IOS version ? it presently has 12.5 enterprise or any other thing? Please Advice.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

There are 3 different approaches that you can take.

1.)Upgrade your switch to one that is 802.3AF compliant.

2.)Try to find Access Points that support the non-standard inline power.

3.)Use a third party power injector that is 802.3AF compliant.

Based upon your current needs, and future requirements it might be better to upgrade your switch. 802.3AF is an IEEE standard that is followed all over the networking world, as Cisco created a pre-standard ILP that may not always work on newer devices. Your current switch may not be able to everything that supports Power over Ethernet. I don't know off the top of my head of any Access Points that will work for you.

Hope this helps,

Mark

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Which access point model are you trying to use? The 3524 switch only supports the Cisco "pre-standard" inline power, and is not capable of powering some POE capable devices. My Guess is that your access point only supports 802.3af inline power only.

Mark

well the main one i was trying to use was the meru AP200.... so you are saying that it is not compatible with the switch ? if so could you refer me to some access points that are.. thanks in advance

There are 3 different approaches that you can take.

1.)Upgrade your switch to one that is 802.3AF compliant.

2.)Try to find Access Points that support the non-standard inline power.

3.)Use a third party power injector that is 802.3AF compliant.

Based upon your current needs, and future requirements it might be better to upgrade your switch. 802.3AF is an IEEE standard that is followed all over the networking world, as Cisco created a pre-standard ILP that may not always work on newer devices. Your current switch may not be able to everything that supports Power over Ethernet. I don't know off the top of my head of any Access Points that will work for you.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Thank you so much for your advice. I think i will go with the first option that you presented to me.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card