Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1841 Interface Question

rebrokenglass
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I was recently looking into purchasing 2 1841 Routers for our organization, but was having a problem with one of its features. I see that there are 2 Ethernet interfaces and room for expansion. This is great to hear, but I was wondering if I can expand the Ethernet ports as one router will take the internet connection in, spawn a trunk connection, and then communicate with an existing LAN. I see there are 4 port etherswitch HWIC expansion modules, but HWIC isn't for WAN connections? Would I be able to use those ports like a LAN connection?

9 Replies 9

Not applicable

Not applicable

Not applicable

Brandon

How do you conclude that HWIC is not for WAN?

If it is an Ethernet handoff, is there any real difference between WAN and LAN?

As I understand your requirements you need a router to provide the interface to the Internet (without specifying what kind of connection you have to the Internet), to communicate over a trunk, and to communicate with an existing LAN. I see no reason why the 2 built in FastEthernet interfaces of the 1841 and the Etherswitch should not be able to do this. If I have failed to understand some part of your requirement then please clarify.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I apologize, I think I worded my initial question wrong. I saw that HWIC was specific to WAN interfaces. I was unsure if there were special configurations or hardware that made this possible. Based on your response I assume there is no true difference. My plan was to purchase the 1841 and the Etherswitch and from what you say I should not have a problem. I hope that clarifies

Brandon

I believe that it somewhat clarifies. Given what I think I understand about your requirements I believe that the 1841 with the Etherswitch should do fine (but there are still significant gaps in our understanding of your situation).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

I tried to rate your posts, but it wouldn't let me. Sorry.

vaisharm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Check this..

Cisco EtherSwitch 4- and 9-Port High-Speed WAN Interface Cards

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5853/product_data_sheet0900aecd8016bf0b.html

HTH

~Vaibhav

Excellent. Thank you all for your responses. My question was answered!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card