Views
Helpful
Replies

MDS 9222i Etherchannel

shinoriku
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I tried to make an etherchannel between two GE ports on 9222i, and got an error message below.

command failed: port not compatible [generic error]

So, can 9222i make an etherchannel?

Many Thanks!

2 Replies 2

inch
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

Can you paste the config from each end?

Cheers

Ether channel is not supported on the 9222i GE ports. It is only supported on the IPS-4 (discontinued) or IPS-8 line cards.

Reason: Int eh 9222i, 9216i, 18-4 line card, and 14-2 line card, each GE port is serviced by a unique IP asic. For Ether channel to be an option, a single IP asic would have to service both GE ports. In the IPS-4 or IPS-8, you can only configure Ether channel between ports 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, or 7-8. GE port 1 with any other GE port other than 2 would fail to configure an ether channel.

That said, it is not recommended to bundle ethernet ports unless you are aggregating ports for a larger ISCSI portal. FCIP is not supported over etherchannel.

To achieve a redundant FCIP configuration, the ideal solution is to create 2 FCIP tunnels, one on each GE, then bundle the FCIP interfaces into a port-channel. This provides the aggregated bandwidth of 2 GE ports with a much nicer flow control and fail over should a GE link fail.

Hope this helps,

Mike