cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

telnet Milwaukee

ingemartinez
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone, i'm studying from the CCENT Official Exam Certification guide. I'm reading about how to connect by telnet to more than one session. The example say you use "telnet Milwaukee", but i cannot connect, just using ip, do you know what setting i need to use the hostname beside the ip address?

Thanks by advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

For telnet connectivity, it will use whatever value was entered in the ip host command.

As I stated, the hostname is not used for end-to-end connectivity.

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You either configure the router/switch to point to a dns server or just manually enter the hostname information in the router/switch.

For instance:

Router#conf t

Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.

Router(config)#ip host Milwaukee 1.1.1.1

Router(config)#end

Router#telnet

!

Router#telnet Milwaukee

Trying milwaukee (1.1.1.1)...

% Destination unreachable; gateway or host down

Router#

HTH,

__

Edison.

Please rate helpful posts

Do the name used in this command could be the same as using "hostname Milwaukee"?

hostname Milwaukee will change the hostname of the router. It has not effect on the end-to-end connectivity.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Please rate helpful posts

My meaning is if I put in the other-side router a name using "hostname" command, and if i use another name using "ip host" command in local router, could it be?

Suppose i put in my other-side router "hostname Mil" and in my local "ip host Milwaukee".

For telnet connectivity, it will use whatever value was entered in the ip host command.

As I stated, the hostname is not used for end-to-end connectivity.

__

Edison.

Thanks a lot man.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco