cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to assign 3 IP address to port?

laichenkang
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to configure a port on 2811 router fa0/0 to contain 3 IP address. I tried using subinterfaces but it doesn't work. Telling me that it only works if the port is configured for vlan trunking. Is it not possible?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

under the interface:-

ip address z.z.z.z y.y.y.y

ip address x.x.x.x w.w.w.w secondary

z.z.z.z = ip address **primary**

y.y.y.y = mask for primary IP address

x.x.x.x = ip address **secondary**

w.w.w.w = mask for secondary IP address

HTH.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

AFAIK - you can have a primary IP address and a secondary IP address - that's it. If you want to run multiple layer 3 sub-interfaces under 1 physical interface, then you need to configure the interface as a dot1q VLAN trunk.

HTH.

I don't think I need subinterfaces. Just want 3 IP address. 1 Primary and 2 Secondary. How do I configure that?

under the interface:-

ip address z.z.z.z y.y.y.y

ip address x.x.x.x w.w.w.w secondary

z.z.z.z = ip address **primary**

y.y.y.y = mask for primary IP address

x.x.x.x = ip address **secondary**

w.w.w.w = mask for secondary IP address

HTH.

Actually you can have as many secondary addresses you like on a single interface.

a.alekseev
Level 7
Level 7

Yes, possible...

but what is the sense?

Many people make migrations, changes, and expansions, but use addresses that in their view cannot be changed (need to re-configure servers and PCs that really cannot be touched), so having multiple addresses is a often a real necessity.

In that case - surely it would make sense, with a layer 2 infrastrcuture with more than 1 flat VLAN - to run multiple layer 3 interfaces, rather than sedonary IP's???

Believe it or not, a lot of people is uncomfortable with, or do not have the equipment for VLANs.

Beside, often they want multiple addresses in the same subnet.

Luckily the router has no problem in doing so.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco