Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7600, RSP720 and WS6748 without DFC daughter-card

mkachalin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I'm planning to buy Cisco 7606 with RSP720-3CXL and copper WS6748 without DFC card.

I need RSP720-3CXL for 3 BGP full-view from ISP. For my needs (1 Gbit/s through all providers in summ, 300 kpps) it's enough integrated bus and up 30 Mpps through it.

But I afraid that line-card without DFC-3CXL will affect number of available routes and the system will not work correctly. Am I right or wrong?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I think you are correct.

In this case we will have "Compact Mode"

The compact mode of operation requires a crossbar switch fabric to be present in the system. This can be provided by a switch fabric module, Switch Fabric Module 2 or a Supervisor Engine 720. All modules in the chassis must be fabric enabled (i.e. CEF256, dCEF256, or CEF720) for the switch to operate in Compact Mode. Classic line cards installed in the chassis will negate the ability of the switch to run in Compact Mode. In Compact Mode, only the header is passed over the DBus to the supervisor. The Header is compressed prior to being placed on the DBus which increases the bandwidth available for header transmission. The data portion of the packet is transmitted over the crossbar switch fabric channels. In this mode of operation, the switch can achieve centralized performance of up to 30Mpps independent of packet size.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

a.alekseev
Level 7
Level 7

Without any DFC-card on WS6748 will NOT affect number of available routes

As far as I understand there is no any problem with this configuration until my needs will not exceed the number of 30 Mpps (potentially) through integrated RSP720 bus?

I think you are correct.

In this case we will have "Compact Mode"

The compact mode of operation requires a crossbar switch fabric to be present in the system. This can be provided by a switch fabric module, Switch Fabric Module 2 or a Supervisor Engine 720. All modules in the chassis must be fabric enabled (i.e. CEF256, dCEF256, or CEF720) for the switch to operate in Compact Mode. Classic line cards installed in the chassis will negate the ability of the switch to run in Compact Mode. In Compact Mode, only the header is passed over the DBus to the supervisor. The Header is compressed prior to being placed on the DBus which increases the bandwidth available for header transmission. The data portion of the packet is transmitted over the crossbar switch fabric channels. In this mode of operation, the switch can achieve centralized performance of up to 30Mpps independent of packet size.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card