cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ping to router from switch Un-sucessfull ?

1) configured router with sub-interfaces and assigned vlan's to every sub-interface using dot1q

2)configured switch ports with vlan's and attachd Pc's to every vlan.

3)pc's from all vlan can ping all the subinterface and other vlans's.

4)I can't ping the router sub-interfaces from the switch

do we have to configure any more on switch or router to make switch ping all the router sub-interfaces?

4 Replies 4

babatunde_sanda
Level 1
Level 1

Do you have a default gateway configured on the switch? Please paste the configs on both device so we can see.

lee.reade
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Did you add an IP address onto the switch for a specific vlan?

You should do this for each vlan that you have configured on the router.

HTH

LR

Kiran

It might be helpful to know what model of switch you are talking about.

The list of things that you did does not include configuring a management interface and IP address on the switch. If the switch does not have a management interface with an IP address it will not be able to ping the router.

note: you have posted this same question in several forums. It would be helpful to at least acknowledge the multiple postings so people may know what to expect.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Kiran has posted this same question in at least 3 forums. The discussion in the WAN Routing and Switching forum has been the most extensive and has included posting of configs, which I believe do show that the problem was a combination of failure to configure a management address in VLAN 1 (and this appears to be a purely layer 2 switch) and a failure to configure an IP address for VLAN 1 on the router.

I suggest that any further discussion be consolidated in the WAN forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card