Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing needed?

thomaslinder
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Using SDM, I have managed to create a vpn server. Connecting users are assigned IP addresses from the range 192.168.3.0/24.

All my other computers are located in VLAN4 and have IP addresses in the range of 192.168.0.0/24.

I would like the VPN users to access all data in the 192.168.0.0 network.

Now for my question: I tried pinging a server in the .0.0 network, and it actually replied. I then tried to establish a connection with the windows share located on that server which failed (with no useful error message).

Now I am wondering: Am I missing something? Will I need to enable routing for these two networks?

Thanks in advance :)

5 Replies 5

Hi,

Do you have the proper access-lists for allowing the traffic ?

Hi

I just checked the access lists but couldn't find an error.

What really startles me is, that I can perfectly ping the server 192.168.0.80 but when I try to access the share Windows cannot do it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't a ping (ICMP packet) be blocked as well if it was an access list issue?

Hello Thomas,

Windows networking is often broadcast based.

You should need an ip helper-address 192.168.0.80 command on the interface where the PC stays so that the router is instructed to send the request to the server (I think it should be your vlan4)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello thomas,

just a little correction the command should be added on the interface with ip 192.168.3.x

hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe, thank you for your reply.

I cannot perform your solution as I have no interface for the vpn users. There exists only a pool of IP adresses which are assigned to users dialing in. So basically there is only the outside interface with our public IP address and the internal Vlan where most of our users are.

Did I forget something when configuring the device? Would I need to add ip helper-address to the outside interface (sounds odd to me)?

Thanks

Thomas

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card