Messed up command output

Unanswered Question
Jul 14th, 2008

I just got a new (to me) router and switch for my voice stuff. When I issue a "show run" command on the switch (it's a 2950), the output - page by page - looks good and neat. But when I scroll back, say, to do a copy and paste, the output is all jumbled and garbled, though it's all there.

Here's an example of a show ip interface brief after I've typed the command and scrolled back:

Switch#sh ip int briefbject to restrictions

Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Prot© of the Commercial Compute

Switch(config)#exitted

Switch#

ocol0:01

Vlan1 10.2.0.4 YES unset up down

Switch#vlan databasehe Rights in Technic

Sw

Vlan2 unassigned YES manual administratively down downe clause at

VLAN 2 added:.227-7013.

Name: Management

FastEthernet0/1 unassigned YES unset down downTasman Drive

VLAN 20 added: San Jose, C

Name: Da

FastEthernet0/2 unassigned YES unsetch(vlan)#vlan 25 name Vt

FastEthernet0/5 unassigned YES unset down down/Z.

Initializing flashfs..

Switch(config)#

FastEthernet0/6 unassigned YES unset down downashfs[1]:

00:02:41: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Vlan2, changed state to up

FastEthernet0/7 unassigned YES unset down downOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan2, changed state t

flashfs[1]:

FastEthernet0/14 unassigned YES unset down down

FastEthernet0/15 unassigned YES unset down down

FastEthernet0/16 unassigned YES unset down down

FastEthernet0/17 unassigned YES unset down down

FastEthernet0/18 unassigned YES unset down down

FastEthernet0/19 unassigned YES unset down down

FastEthernet0/20 unassigned YES unset down down

FastEthernet0/21 unassigned YES unset down down

FastEthernet0/22 unassigned YES unset down down

FastEthernet0/23 unassigned YES unset down down

FastEthernet0/24 unassigned YES unset down down

Switch#

It really makes it hard to determine a problem when sorting through the confusion. It's even worse when you're in hyperterminal. I had heard of this problem before, but I can't remembe what the cause was, much less the solution. Can someone shed some light on this?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Richard Burts Mon, 07/14/2008 - 10:20

Jeffrey

I believe that I have seen symptoms like this before and blamed it on certain versions of Hyperterm. I believe that in some instances where I installed a different version of Hypteterm (or preferably a better terminal emulator) cleared up the issue.

HTH

Rick

crunchyhippo Mon, 07/14/2008 - 13:51

Well, it seems to work fine with my other equipment (2524, 2600 routers). Maybe it only works good with certain equipment?

Do you think there could be a connection to the IOS on it or flash needing to be upgraded?

Richard Burts Mon, 07/14/2008 - 17:53

Jeffrey

Since we do not know what causes this issue it is very difficult to say for sure what does not cause it. But I think that it is VERY unlikely that a certain hardware or a certain IOS causes it. And I just can not think of any way in which a flash issue could cause it.

In my experience with this symptom, when I get it on a certain PC I will get this effect no matter what device I access. Can you post any examples where the same PC (using the same terminal emulator) gets the symptom on one device and does not get the symptom on some other device?

HTH

Rick

dhananjoy chowdhury Mon, 07/14/2008 - 23:17

Even I faced this problem with windows hyperterminal, but after using PUTTY v0.60, it got resolved.

Actions

This Discussion