Views
Helpful
Replies

Developing web application for Cisco IP Phone 7975G

muzahidul_islam
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I am fresh in Cisco Technology though I have some experiences in developing web applications for PCs in Java. Now I have to develop an interactive web application which will be called by the Cisco IP Phone 7975G from a web server. Therefore, I would like to make myself clear in the following few things:

1. Should I continue with Java or I should move to a scripting language like PHP?

2. How will Cisco IP Phone 7975G will communicate to the web server ?

3. In which flow should I start programming ?

4. How can I run and test a small program to see how it works?

You would be highly appreciated if you kindly can elaborately reply this mail.

Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,

M.Islam

6 Replies 6

msabir
Level 4
Level 4

1. If you already know Java, you should use it because SDK has sample code in Java, also with it you can use JTAPI for advance programming involving telephony features.

2. Phones communicate with a web server just like a browser communicates with it, except that instead of serving HTML web server serves XML (actual a subset of supported XML tags). Phones can pull a URL via a service subscribed to it, or optionally URLs/services can be pushed to phones.

3. Use JSP/Servlet/JSF together with AXL/SOAP and JTAPI. Always object oriented.

4. Look for sample applications in Cisco's SDK. There is also a book on it "Developing IP phone Services" by Cisco Press.

I can only back up msabir here. I have the book but if you look at the samples and read the guide, I don't think you need the book though.. it felt like a waste of money and time to me after I had already gone through some samples and read the guide. But perhaps if you go the reverse way you'll feel different.

And with regards to script languages.. look around here how many posts we have by people who are grasping at straws because they don't have the necessary programming background.. knowing Java you are perfectly equipped to get started. If you have experience in webservices, even better as most Callmanager APIs are webservices.

Dear all:

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I shall

go through few things and will ask you further.

Hope to see you very soon.

Sincerely,

M. Islam

Dear all:

Is there any Emulator for testing the application? If yes, you would be highly appreciated if I can have the link from where I can download it.

Sincerely,

There is one that Cisco used to have, but they have not updated it in a long time. You can also use IP Communicator along with CCM virtual image -- I think that is the best choice. You might need a separate box for CCM or 2GB+ RAM is CCM virtual image itself run on 1GB+ RAM (documentation says 512MB, but it is very slow for that much dedicated memory).

While the CCM simulator works for really simple things, you'll often find the need to access information available only on a real call-manager so running a virtual machine with a real system is preferable.

And once you have the app up and running on the IP Communicator (contact your Cisco ACM to get one), you need a physical phone to continue testing because there's a difference between the IP Communicator and physical phones and you need to make sure you have your app tested on the actual hardphone (preferably with the load that the customer uses though things have gotten a lot better in that area.. if the customer has a halfway up-to-date phone load then you should be fine).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: