Views
Helpful
Replies

Service Port - changing the NetMask makes WLC hang

kingsclererider
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are having issues with the service port on our 4402 WLC. I am aware that this is for out of bound management and as such put it on a totally seperate VLAN. However if we change the subnet from say 24 bit to 16 bit the WLC hangs. We downgraded the S/W version to 4.2.130.0 but we still get the issue.

Any ideas?

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The service port is for out of ban management. The service port IP should not be routed in your network. I actually never plug that into the network, since you should be managing the wlc with the management port. I don't see why it would hang... You are trying to connect to the wlc via the service port IP or the management port IP?

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi,

We are trying to set up the service port for access to the WLC in the event that we cannot get onto the WLC via the management port.

The service port if you connect it to your network, can't be routable. So if you create a vlan 999 and connect the service port to that, you must make sure you don't create a L3 interface vlan 999. So if you want to be able to manage the wlc if the management port is not working, then you will have to configure a port for that vlan and attach your laptop or pc to that port. Again... it is not supported if your service port is routable and most likely you will have issues if it is.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: