cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

prepositioning on WAEs

richianaj
Level 1
Level 1

I hope this is clear, but here is my requirement.

I want to be able to have some regional core WAE devices point to a directory on a file server to which certain users have rights to upload video and graphic files. Using prepositioning the core devices next to these file servers will copy these files on a nightly schedule to the edge devices that are listed within their prepositioning policy. So far so good for this working, with the edge devices showing that they have successfully been updated with the newest prepositioned content.

My question is; since prepositioned data is held in both the CIFS object cache and the DRE bit level cache on the edge WAEs, if I have users point to a central corporate Intranet web server, and they navigate to a section on that site that has links to play (or download) the video files or display (or download) the image files that are in the local WAE caches thanks to the prepositioning, will the local copies of these files be used or does this only work for true CIFS traffic with people getting data files for file servers in central data centers.

I hope this makes sense, basically I want my local sites to be able to play/see rich media files from our central corporate web sites, but want them to be able to pull them from a local cache if possible. Whilst I know I may not get a hit in the CIFS object cache, I'm hoping that the edge WAEs will be able to use the DRE cache as once the images are being downloaded/streamed from the central source, the WAEs will notice the data patterns.

Regards,

Richard

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dstolt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Richard,

Prepositioning the files will also populate the DRE cache, so you are correct. The users will benifit from DRE being "pre-populated". However, if they are using HTTP or RTSP to view or play files, their sessions will still cross the WAN, just the payloads will be offloaded.

Dan

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

dstolt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Richard,

Prepositioning the files will also populate the DRE cache, so you are correct. The users will benifit from DRE being "pre-populated". However, if they are using HTTP or RTSP to view or play files, their sessions will still cross the WAN, just the payloads will be offloaded.

Dan

Thanks Dan for the quick response. I can live with the sessions crossing the WAN as long since the payloads, which are the largest bandwidth drains, are being cached locally.

Regards,

Richard

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: