cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't connect WLCs to WCS

Chris Illsley
Level 3
Level 3

We're having a bit of trouble connecting our Wireless LAN Controllers to the WCS. Every time I try and add a controller I get the “Failed to add device to WCS” message, I've tried all the suggestions from the Cisco site, however no luck. I've also attached the SNMP debug from the controller when I try to connect if that will help. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Chris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Looks like WCS. Backup WCS and install 4.2.97.0 and then do a restore, see if that works.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you try to add the wlc to WCS, you do not change the admin and password field. What I have done is also recreate your community strings (at least your RW) and make sure the network is allowed. Try to remove the special character to see if one of them is causing issue if you have any in the RW string.

-Scott

I've recreated the community strings, currently there are no special characters, I reset the controller and set it up with a basic config and tried using the default private community string, no joy.

"When you try to add the wlc to WCS, you do not change the admin and password field."

I'm not too sure what you mean here I'm afraid

Do you mean in SNMP V3? I'm using SNMP V2

My mistake... that was the location appliance. On WCS, just verify the version you are using and the community string. On the WLC under the community string, remover the Read Only, Make sure the Read Write is enabled and set the network to 0.0.0.0 or the ip of the wcs server. don't keep trying it if it fails, move out of that screen and go back into the screen. That seems to of worked for me.

-Scott

Ah right, no worries.

The versions are:

Model: 4404

Software: 4.2.130.0

WCS Version: 4.0.96.0

Type: Basic

There is another 4402 which also won't connect running 4.2.65.0 but I'm mainly leaving that alone as it is production.

The community string is definitely read/write, I tried read only if that would help, no luck there though. I've tried with 0.0.0.0 catch all and with the specific IP address. There is no filtering going on between the vlans, I've used getif to do an snmp query and it has no problems there. No luck with moving out of the screen, I've even gone as far as changing PCs.

Thanks once again.

Try to restart WCS and see if the service is running. You don't have windows FW running that might be blocking snmp?

-Scott

Restarted the WCS, actually went as far as reinstalling the software, to no avail. No Windows FW turned on. I didn't do the SNMP query from the server, will do that shortly.

Done, and the SNMP query goes through fine. Gah.

Well at least you got it working. Now just make sure you perform a backup just in case you have to reinstlall WCS.

-Scott

Ooops, sorry, it's still not working.

You have a license installed on the WCS? Can you do a getif from the wcs server?

-Scott

Yes, licence installed and getif works fine from the server.

Cheers

Looks like WCS. Backup WCS and install 4.2.97.0 and then do a restore, see if that works.

-Scott

Cheers, will do, I'll let you know the result.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card