cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Gateway

festusimazenobe
Level 1
Level 1

Can a router act with 2 different gateways?

8 Replies 8

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

can u clearify ur question what kind of gateways and what connectivity u want ??

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

A router can have 2 different default route/gateway on its configuration.

With this configuration, it will perform a 'per-session' load balancing towards both gateways.

In other words, a workstation may have a flow going towards gateway A and a different flow going towards gateway B.

HTH,

__

Edison.

hi Edison

really i liked this idea i havnt notced this

Hi Edison,

i have a server that i want to configure with two different pool of IPs with separate gateways, so i want to know if one router can be configured with the two different pool of IPs with separate gateways eg.(10.116.48.0/24 defaultgateway 10.116.48.1 and 10.116.49.0/24 defaultgateway 10.116.49.1)

festus.

it could be achived ethier by a secondary ip address on the router interface or by doing subinterfaces like router-on-stick

thanks

did u get it working ?

Are you trying to use the router as a DHCP server?

Are these 'pool of IPs' for DHCP ?

If so, yes - you can create different pool of IPs with different gateway/router information.

Please see:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipaddr/configuration/guide/iad_dhcp_svr_cfg_ps6350_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html

on information regarding this subject.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: