cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

spanning tree

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, with spanning tree, if a port goes up and down will this cause tcn's to be sent out to the whole network, and would this cause each switch to flush its mac address table, or does it reset the mac aging timer to 0 which does the same thing?

cheers

7 Replies 7

Francois Tallet
Level 7
Level 7

A non-edge port (ie a port not configured for portfast) will trigger a topology change. This will eventually lead the cam table to perform fast aging.

RSTP only generates topology changes on non-edge ports going to forwarding, and the result is a flush on most of non-edge ports.

Regards,

Francois

do i still need to setup portfast when using rstp on my edge ports? as I thought rstp does not go through listening and learning states?

cheers

Yes, it is critical that you identify your edge ports and configure portfast on them.

Regards,

Francois

why is this critical ?

It is critical because, not only the port would take 30 seconds to go forwarding at link up (like STP), but also because RSTP or MST sync can revert back this port to discarding any time during a convergence of the backbone. The port would then be again blocked for 30 seconds, and a host behind it would experience worse connectivity to the backbone than with STP:-(

Regards,

Francois

hi

so, by default, without ant extra config using rstp, what is the forward delay? is it the same as normal stp? also what about link type port delays,is this the same?

cheers

Can anyone please help on this?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card