cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Easy VPN Server - daft question!

Peter.D.Brown
Level 1
Level 1

This may sound like a silly question but what exactly is Easy VPN Server? At first I thought it was a hardware replacement for the VPN Concentrator but now I don't think that. Does it run in routers or firewalls? Is it just a set of commands or a way of configuring these devices to support VPN? I know you can set up Easy VPN Server with the SDM (and possibly with the ASDM?). I'm perplexed to say the least.

Please can somebody shed some light on this for me?

Thanks

Pete.

1 Reply 1

Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Easy VPN Server is a feature that allows client-to-site VPNs between hardware devices (Routers, Firewalls, Concentrators). Therefore you have a central site having a Easy VPN Server (routers from 1800 series, ASA Firewalls)to witch all the spokes are connected, and all the spoke Easy VPN clients ( 800 series Routers, ASA Firewalls) can connect in a similar way as the Cisco VPN client software.

There are many benefits for Cisco Easy VPN like: it works even if the spokes are behind ISPs with dynamic IP assignment, admission policies are controlled from the central point, tunnels can be initiated on-demand or always-on.

For more details:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6659/products_ios_protocol_option_home.html

Please rate if this helped.

Regards,

Daniel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: