cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

/31 mask a good idea?

DARYLE DIANIS
Level 1
Level 1

Is anyone using a /31 mask on point to point links or uplinks between layer 3 switches? Is there any downside or gotchas? I'm planning on running layer 3 all the way to my access switches and using routed ports to connect the access to the distribution. A /31 mask would help conserve ip addresses, right?

thanks

8 Replies 8

keeleym
Level 5
Level 5

Hi There

To the best of my knowledge a /31 netmask is not possible.

The smallest subnet possible is a /30 which yields 2 usable IP addresses along with the broadcast address of the subnet and the subnet number. This is what is recommended for a point to point link.

I think I remember reading somewhere about an RFC that was in the experimental stage which would allow a /31 mask (though I may be dreaming), but I have never heard of it being released for use.

I have seen instances where errors were made in configurations and either the subnet mask or the subnet number was assigned to a host and it appeared to work, but I think that this would be frowned upon in a live production network.

Best Regards,

Michael

Michael,

The draft you are referring to was draft-retana-31bits and made it into RFC3021 and has been supported in IOS since 12.2T.

Please refer to the following document for more information on RFC3021:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3021.txt

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

DARYLE DIANIS
Level 1
Level 1

I will admit its new, but here is a link that talks about it. I'm more curious than anything,because I thought /30 was the smallest.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2t/12_2t2/feature/guide/ft31addr.html

While you are correct it can be done does it make it a "good idea".....Just because I could pierce my tongue 100 times does not mean it is a "good idea" :-)

Unless you have a shortage of IP addresses I would not introduce this.... just my Half-Penny (was two-cents but you know with the economy and gas prices).

Mike

autobot130
Level 1
Level 1

/31s are awesome. it saves IP space! The problem is its not interroperable with other vendors. Works on newer code.

saves IP space... if you're using it internally you more than likely have enough space anyway :P

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Possibly another alternative, for saving your address space, would be usage of IP unnumbered. See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094e8d.shtml for more information.

DARYLE DIANIS
Level 1
Level 1

thanks everyone for letting me know what you think. I'm going to try the /31 in a test environment and see if I like it. I am on a lan and do have plenty of addresses and of course, we're an all Cisco shop, so interoperability won't be a problem.

thanks again

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card