SR Upgrade on CUCM 5.1

Unanswered Question
Jul 16th, 2008

Hi everyone, i have a customer that needs a SR upgrade of the 3 CallManagers Servers (1 Publisher and 2 Subscribers) and they have 95 remote office (15 ip phones by office aprox.) for a total of 1200 ip phones using a WAN link of 64K,128K and 256K. The upgrade of SR will make an upgrade of firmware to the ip phones. My question is: There is a way to make this upgrade of SR avoiding the firmware upgrade of the all IP Phones at the same time?, somebody has done this before?.

Thank you very much,

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Jaime Valencia Wed, 07/16/2008 - 13:03

the upgrade automatically will change the device defaults, you would need to change the device defaults before letting the phones resetting sot they keep the same FW.

there is no way to avoid the parameter change

if this helps, please rate

Ricardo Saya Wed, 07/16/2008 - 13:34

Hi javalenc, thanks for your replay. In what moment i should to change the device default?. Because when I upgrade and reboot the Servers, the IP phones will see a new firmware and they will upgrade at the time.

Jaime Valencia Wed, 07/16/2008 - 13:38

you would need to have the phones register to the last server you will reboot as primary, and once the TFTP server is up perform the change on the device defaults to the old firmware so the files are updates, once you reboot the last server when phones try to register or reset the files will have the old load and won't try to upgrade. the other way is as suggested stop all TFTP servers and reset the device defaults to old FW and then restart the TFTP

if this helps, please rate

Ricardo Saya Wed, 07/16/2008 - 14:26

Hi Jaime. The TFTP Servers that I have are the same CallManagers 5.1. If I upgrade the First Node (Publisher), reload and finally change the Device Default to the old firmware this change would take effect in the Subscribers when upgrade and reload them to avoid the firmware upgrade?

Thanks you,

tnooning Wed, 07/16/2008 - 13:04

I've done this a couple ways. The first is with an access-list on the switch (or switches) that connect to the CallManager servers. You could have something like this:

Extended IP access list DENY-PHONES

33 deny tcp any eq 2000

34 deny tcp any eq 2000

41 deny tcp any eq 2000

44 deny tcp any eq 2000

99 permit ip any any

Then you can remove individual statements to allow remote subnets to communicate with CallManager again and upgrade their firmware in a staggered fashion.

Another thing I've done is to temporarily disable the TFTP service on the CallManager servers until all the upgrades are complete. Once the phones have all re-registered, you can re-enable TFTP then selectively reset phones to have them upgrade their firmware.

You could also look at Peer Firmware Sharing for the phones, but I think that may be only certain phone types and possibly only in CUCM 6.x and above...

This Discussion